Miss Representation in Curology

This week in class, we watched a documentary called "Miss Representation." It was really impactful, and it challenged the role media has played in portraying women. In addition, it brought up the misrepresentation of powerful women in American politics.
When I watched an ad for Curology, the customizable skincare brand, I noticed that many stereotypes that were similar to those in the documentary were being portrayed. The advertisement was simply of a woman trying out Curology products for the first time, and it documented her journey with the products. It showed the progression of her skin once she started using Curology products. First of all, I have never seen a Curology ad with a man in it. Although I could be wrong, and there could be Curology ads with men in them, I most often seen them with women trying out their products. This ties into the stereotype that women want to look pretty, and that it is important for women to have a good appearance. Since I haven't seen any men in Curology ads, it shows that media portrays it as important for women to look appealing. I also noticed that the woman in the advertisement was wearing tons of makeup, which further goes to show that appearances of a woman matter. This also relates to the concept of a perfect woman. After all, the ad depicts the woman's progression in her skin. At the beginning, her skin is very red and has lots of blemishes, and the tone of the advertisement is very negative. Even the woman herself is unhappy with how she looks. However, after using the product for some time, her skin is perfectly clear, and she is much happier with her appearance. All of this tells young girls to value how they look, because if they don't have the perfect skin, they won't be happy with themselves or be liked.
Overall, the media still depicts women in a way that values their appearance over their character. Despite it being 2020, this example shows that the media is still portraying women in this way. It's time for people to not only bring awareness to this and challenge it, but to change the stereotype of women as well.
**I'm not sure what happened, but I posted this around 9:30 PM on 1/11/2020. But when I checked this morning at 11:30 AM, my post wasn't there. So I went back to edit it and some of the writing wasn't there and my picture was gone so I'm reposting this now, but just letting you know that I  had it done before it was due! I hope my information is mostly the same as the original...**

Comments

  1. Wow, what a blatant and disgusting way of showing stereotypes to our young generations! I can't believe they aren't getting called out as a company for this, especially in 2020! I can only think this has grown to be accepted by our society because of the circle pattern of effects that these commercials create. I hope you're correct on the solution, but I might add that with bringing awareness to the subject, we'd also need to expose why it's wrong to help the young generations that are getting lots of exposure to these ads. Great blog tho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG i totally see what you mean larissa! And now when I think about it, why did skin care brands come out in the first place? For teens acne is completely normal, and most will grow out of it, so skin care brands like Curology are simply reinforcing the idea that having acne is when it is entirely natural. It helps back up the stereotype that if you don't have clear skin then you're ugly when there is no real scale of beauty or ugliness. I loved this blog hon!! 😁🙌🙌🙌

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is so great!! I never really noticed that it was mainly girls who advertise the product, but now that you mention it your point definitely makes sense. Since acne has to do with skincare, do you think that men aren’t used because it is seen as too feminine? Or is it targeting women specifically because their assumption that they care more about their looks makes them more susceptible to the sales?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never though of Curology or even other skin care brands in this way, but you are 100% correct! Whenevr I see skin care ads they are alwyas potraying women or are maketed towards women and how they need to have the perfect skin. I have even seen some face washes or other skin care products specifically say "face wash for MEN" in brands like dove and nivea. I find this halarious seeing that men feel as if they nned to get a product specifically for men, implying thatall other skin care is meant for women and that men shouldn't use it, even though it is litterally just soap.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sumo Wrestling & Unexpected Advertisements

Allyson Felix vs. Usain Bolt: WHO IS FASTER?! - (At shopping, that is.)