Lovemarks Surrounding High School Musical: The Musical: The Series


I'm sure many of you have heard of the new Disney+ show that has recently ended its' first season: High School Musical: The Musical: The Series. In a nutshell, this show is about high school students who want to put on their own production of High School Musical at their school. Ironically, they also attend East High, the school where High School Musical was originally filmed. The show goes into the lives of the students, and the love triangle between the main characters. Now, although this show is cheesy, it is addicting for many people - including myself. Why is that? I feel like the popularity of the show is due to the sort of lovemark from the original High School Musical. A lovemark is a brand that creates loyalty beyond reason, and I feel like in a way, the original High School Musical film did that. Throughout my years of school, countless people have talked about High School Musical, and they are always surprised to hear that I've never seen it. I even always told myself to find time to watch because it was so well-known and so many people loved it (oops, I still haven't...). So many people fell in love with that film and grew up with it, and it became a part of their childhood. I feel like the success of the new series is partly because of the success of the original film. Don't come at me, but in my opinion, in HSMTMTS, the plot really is not that driven and  it sometimes goes around in circles. I'm not saying that HSMTMTS is a bad show - I am guilty of watching it (and liking it) too - but I think that one of the reasons it has become so popular is due to the lasting impact the original movie.

Comments

  1. At first when I saw that this new show had come out, I instantly thought it would be bad. But, I decided to watch it anyways because of the connection you had mentioned to the original movies. This connection made me feel like I was going back to a large part of my childhood and this nostalgic feeling was one of the main reasons i continued watching. I got attached and I think many people did this same thing. I agree that this is one of the main reasons that this show has had such a success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone else who got addicted to the show but who never watched the original movies, I definitely agree that a major part of why the show was so successful is because of the lovemark of the High School Musical brand. I feel like if the show wasn't advertised with the High School Musical name, barely anyone would even know it was even released. However, one thing I think is interesting is the fact that the High School Musical brand didn't really have a very impact on the overall story, since the musical the characters were performing could have changed without changing the plot. I think this shows how companies would much rather rely on established love marks than put out something new that could potentially fail.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Miss Representation in Curology

Ads on YouTube = Data Mining